Focused on building an interest in science and engineering in children ages 6-10, FIRST LEGO League Jr. is a hands-on program designed to capture young children’s curiosity and direct it toward discovering how science and technology impact the world around them. This program features a real-world challenge, to be explored through research, critical thinking and imagination. Guided by adult coaches and the FIRST LEGO League Jr. Core Values, team members work with LEGO elements and motorized parts to build ideas and concepts and present them for review. Each yearly Challenge is based on a different theme and has two main parts, the LEGO Model and the Show Me Poster. Teams consist of two to six children and are guided by at least two adult coaches. During the season they will:
- Conduct research about the current Challenge theme.
- Build a LEGO Model based on the Challenge instructions that contains both a simple machine and a motorized part. (NEW REQUIREMENT FOR THE 2017-18 AQUA ADVENTURE SEASON: including computer programming with LEGO-supported software, such as WeDo 2.0, WeDo, or Mindstorms)
- Display their findings on a Show Me poster.
The culmination of the hard work for many teams is the participation in a FIRST LEGO League Jr. event. Volunteer Reviewers at the event interview the teams to learn about their LEGO Model and Show Me poster. All the teams are celebrated and leave with an award. While participation in an event is not a requirement, we encourage teams to attend one. Teams can also show off their work on the Online Showcase. On the Showcase, all teams can share what they’ve learned and have a virtual Expo experience! If you are interested in viewing the Showcase and you are not a current coach, please e-mail JrFLL.
- Are you new to FIRST LEGO League Jr.?
- Are you a rookie coach?
- Do you want to find out more about the exciting learning opportunities and fun your kids can have with FLL Jr.?
- First, check out the Colorado FIRST LEGO League Jr. Frequently Asked Questions page. You may also read the Frequently Asked Questions from FIRST. At Colorado FLL Jr., we want to support you and your child, so if you have more questions, please e-mail JrFLL.
- Do you have 2 adult coaches and you want to register a FIRST LEGO League Jr. team? Register here. Click on “Log in” in the top right corner and create an account with FIRST.
- Want to see the recommended product kits for FIRST LEGO League Jr. teams? Check them out here.
Coaches’ Training/Information Sessions:
If you are a rookie coach or other interested adult and would like to register for any of the FREE Training/Information Sessions below, please e-mail JrFLL. Please include your team number, if you have one. Trainings are intended for adults only; team members do NOT attend. You would only attend ONE session, as the information at each is the same. We have a new format for our training sessions, focused on attending coaches’ specific needs and questions and will include training on the new WeDo 2.0.
If you are interested in hosting an Expo in your area for the 2017-18 season, please e-mail JrFLL, and we’ll step you through the easy process. An Expo can be a very simple, streamlined event that can be run on very few volunteers! It’s easier than you may think and a great benefit to the kids! Thanks for considering the opportunity!